Monday 31 October 2016

Reflection

Reflection on the use of ADDIE in designing e-learning programme
This has been quiet an uplifting experience for me as a clinical facilitator. I had initially asked myself why do I have to use ADDIE when there may be other models I can utilise to design an e-learning programme. I have come to appreciate ADDIE as an interactive model that seeks to ensure all interventions from situational analysis to evaluation of the programme are properly implemented to ensure its success. I realised that the stages of ADDIE are closely linked and interrelate such that I always have to refer to the previous stage going forward to keep consistency. There is a lot of overlap between the phases.
In designing my e-learning programme it’s been very challenging as I had to think outside the box at the same time still take cognisance of the context at which the programme will be implemented. I believe the use of e-learning in health training institutions need to be considered as it allows for use of innovative teaching, learning and assessment strategies to better prepare graduate attributes of the 21st century graduate. I am aware that even though there is so much information regarding e-learning programmes, teachers, facilitators have to be innovative in designing a winner programme for their context.
Rowe, et al., (2012) study which explores the role of blended learning in clinical education made me think deeper as to what innovative activities am I doing to enhance the clinical education. The review exposed the paucity of research on blended learning in developing coutries as most studies were conducted in the first worlds where technical infrastructure makes e-learning programmes feasible. The aim of Rowe, et al., (2012) review was to determine whether blended approach to clinical teaching and learning for health professionals has any potential to increasing clinical competency of health care students. The authors used databases and print materials of articles that were for and against the use of blended learning and the sample represented a diverse group of health disciplines. Even though the authors agree that the sample was too small, the results revealed that blended learning may be an answer as it allows for use of appropriate technology in clinical education which help in closing the gap between theory and practice and enhance learner clinical competence.
This being said, I realised that more research is needed to assess the impact of e-learning approach and the impact of blended learning in resource constrained settings.

I appreciate all the comments that were posted on my blog and I must tell you they have helped me a lot in designing my e-learning programme for shift leaders at QMMH.

No comments:

Post a Comment