Tuesday 4 October 2016

Analysis

As a clinical facilitator I find it very hard to reach the number of nursing staff as I would to train mostly because of the nature of their work shifts. Recently there has been a mass exodus of nurses in my institution to greener pustures resulting with urgent need to train new people as shift learders. As I look at the programme for this training I began to wonder if it will be possible for me considering that the clinical facilitation department is now operating with one person as opposed to three.This made me think of a different approach that instead of formal workshops we could think of elearning instead. I then consulted a few nurses who are prospective trainees on what they think about having their shift leading training using their cell phones and computers instead. The response was good with prospect that it will bridge the constraints of time as each person will access the materials at their own convinient time. But they were worried that it might be a bit expensive for them as the hospital does not have free wifi.

With this approach I hope to reach a large number of trainees at a given period of time as opposed to having several three day workshops which normally have poor attendance.


4 comments:

  1. Ratu, I like that you have identified a need. I wonder what you are thinking about in terms of training materials. What type of media and documentation you share will determine a lot with regard to the design of your training. Perhaps a blended approach with at least one workshop and the rest online could work? Remember that communication and engagement from facilitators is key to the success on online programmes and with only one facilitator, completely replacing three workshops with e-learning may be too much for that facilitator to manage in addition to other work responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ratu

    I had similar responses from my students when I enquired about e-learning. Some of the concerns were time constraints in the laboratory and access to the e-learning. They were much more receptive to mobile learning but cost was also a concern. Same as you the wifi was an issue for them because it would then be required of them to use their own data. One student in the group discussion pointed out that free wifi is accessible at most places nowadays and that because of the convenience of learning from their mobile phone it can be done during lunch or even after hours and weekends when they frequent places with free wifi. That settled the argument amongst them without me even having to intervene. Just something to consider and discuss with your colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what prospective trainees have raised is important. I guess as part of the analysis you will have to formulate any technical requirements and limitations... these will dictate what is possible and feasible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ratu, perhaps have a look at what the literature says in regard to the type of training you are doing? Is it induction training? Is it theoretical concepts or practical concepts that you are covering? For theoretical concepts, I have come across practice where you are asked to read induction/ fire training/ manual handling etc information. You can read it as often as you like. And when you're ready, there is a short multi-choice question quiz for you to complete.
    As Lianne pointed out, is it feasible for all the content of all three workshops to be converted to e-learning format, or can you identify one component first?

    ReplyDelete